Webbed Feet

Saturday, December 09, 2006

But Don't Look Back in Anger...

Reflecting on my first semester, its amazing to think about how far I've come since that dreadful first day of standing in front of my first period class. I stood there, prepared as best as I could be, thinking that I was going to be some fantastic teacher from day one. Little did I know that just about all of my plans were about to go straight to he...I mean straight out the window. Within the first month and a half, my rules were totally changed, as were my consequences and rewards. I was so afraid that I would have anarchy in my classroom, so my original rules were very strict...so strict in fact that I could not enforce them with any sort of regulartity. And so, the relaxation of the rules began. I just thought I needed to find something to fit my style. I can't work in a confined environment like that, so it made me look like quite the hypocrite when I could not enforce my rules consistently.

Another notable change was the curriculum. I went from teaching by the book to saying "forget this" after some of the methods we were taught by Dr. G. I feel like I was expecting too much from my students, which is easy to do when Spanish comes so naturally to me. I decided to do things the way that Dr. G. suggests would help my students learn more efficiently.

In all, I made some mistakes, whoe doesn't, but it makes me feel like I will be so much more prepared to walk in the door next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home